Double-crust strawberry pie is a juicy, vibrant pie that extends the season of spring well into summer. With the very first bite, you’ll experience its seductive magic. Keep in mind that strawberry pie needs to be stored in the fridge if it doesn’t disappear the first day.
- 6–7 cups (2–3 pints) whole fresh strawberries,
- 1 cup sugar,
- ¼ cup instant tapioca,
- pinch of salt,
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat on top of filling,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Make the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust pie.
- Make the Filling: Wash and de-stem the strawberries, then cut in halves or quarters. In a large bowl, stir together strawberries, sugar, tapioca, and salt, then allow to sit for 20 minutes to activate the tapioca. Pour the mixture into the pie crust, then dot butter on top. Cover with top crust. Trim and crimp the edges, brush with the whisked egg, and cut decorative vent holes on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until top crust starts to brown. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 20–30 minutes, until fruit bubbles up through the top and juice thickens.