Of course, you can buy the ingredients in the grocery, but if you grow tomatoes and basil in your garden, this Tomato Basil Pie is simply delicious. It makes a great lunch or dinner.
- 4–5 ripe tomatoes,
- 11⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided in half,
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaves,
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped,
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise,
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese,
- salt and pepper.
- Make Blind-Baked Crust for a 9-inch pie.
- Make the Filling: Cut tomatoes in slices and drain. Sprinkle 3⁄4 cup mozzarella over crust. Arrange the tomato slices over cheese. Sprinkle the basil and garlic over tomatoes. In a large bowl, mix the remaining 3⁄4 cup mozzarella, mayonnaise, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon this cheese mixture over top of pie.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes at 350 degrees, until edges are brown and cheese is bubbly. Serve warm.