Sweet Potato Pie traces its roots back to the Colonial days in American history. It was once served as a side dish before it became popular as a dessert. Do you wrinkle your nose at the texture and taste of sweet potatoes? But do you know how many A-vitamins you could get by eating the pie? Do you need something more to sweeten the deal? Top it with a layer of mini marshmallows and pretend it’s Thanksgiving.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 medium whole potatoes),
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) butter, softened,
- 1 cup sugar,
- 1⁄2 cup milk (evaporated or whole milk),
- 2 whisked eggs,
- 1 tsp cinnamon,
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg,
- 2 tsp vanilla.
- Make the Basic Pie Dough for a single-crust pie, crimped.
- Make the Filling: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix them with a whisk or electric mixer until well blended and smooth. Pour into the crust shell.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes to an hour, until filling sets.