Try this Lemon Meringue Pie, it’s different, innovative and delicious.
- 2 cups sugar,
- 3⁄4 cups flour,
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch,
- 1⁄2 tsp salt,
- 11⁄2 cups fresh-squeezed lemon juice (from about 12 lemons),
- 3⁄4 cup water,
- 6 eggs yolks,
- 2 tbsp lemon zest,
- 4 tbsp (1⁄2 stick) butter, softened.
- 6 egg whites,
- 1⁄2 tsp cream of tartar,
- 3⁄4 cup sugar.
- Make the Blind-Baked Crust.
- Make the Filling: In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Mix the lemon juice with the water, and add 2 cups of this liquid to the dry ingredients in the saucepan. Heat over low to medium heat until well thickened, stirring nonstop. Whisk the yolks in another bowl. Add a couple spoonfuls of the hot lemon mixture to the eggs, stirring quickly so that the eggs don’t curdle. Then add the yolks to the saucepan and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the rest of the lemon-water liquid (1⁄4 cup), lemon zest, and butter to the saucepan. Cook and stir for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and pour into the baked pie shell.
- Prepare the Meringue: Combine all ingredients in a clean bowl, and mix with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of lemon filling and dab at the meringue with the back of a large spoon, pulling back with each stroke to create curlicue peaks.
- Bake at 375 degrees for around 10 minutes, but keep a close eye on it to prevent over-browning.