BLT Pie should, in fact, be called a BBT pie for its main ingredients: Bacon, Basil, and Tomato. This one is really different but, for sure, it’s worth trying.
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced and de-seeded but not peeled,
- 1⁄2 to 1 lb bacon, fried till crisp, drained, and chopped,
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil,
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced,
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder,
- 1 tsp dried oregano,
- 1⁄2 tsp crushed red pepper,
- 3⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese,
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese,
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise.
- Shredded lettuce (optional).
- Prepare the Blind-Baked Crust, 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Before baking, make holes with a fork into the bottom of crust, then sprinkle Parmesan on the bottom and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling: In the pre-baked pie crust, make layers of tomatoes, fried bacon pieces, basil, green onions, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper, and 1⁄2 cup Parmesan. In a small bowl, stir together the Cheddar and mayo, then spread over top of pie. Sprinkle the rest of Parmesan on top.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold. It tastes even better with shredded lettuce.