Many people like an apple pie the best, while others can’t resist a cherry pie. Some say that Americans have cherry pie deep in their DNA. It looks deliciously irresistible with its cheery and bright appearance. You just have to try it.
- 5–6 cups pitted fresh cherries (tart, sweet, or mix both),
- 1½ cups sugar (if cherries are sweet, use less),
- 3 tbsp tapioca or 4 tbsp cornstarch,
- pinch of salt,
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat the top of filling,
- 1 beaten egg, to brush the top crust.
- Prepare the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust pie.
- Prepare the filling: Stir together cherries, sugar, tapioca, and salt in a large bowl. Allow to sit for around 20 minutes to let tapioca activate. Spoon into the pie shell.
- Place a pat of butter on top, then cover with the top crust. Trim and crimp edges, or make a pretty lattice top, brush with whisked egg, then make vent holes.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15–20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or more. Filling should be bubbling.
[images cols=”three” lightbox=”true”] [image link=”161″ image=”161″] [image link=”162″ image=”162″] [image link=”159″ image=”159″] [image link=”158″ image=”158″] [image link=”157″ image=”157″] [image link=”156″ image=”156″] [image link=”154″ image=”154″] [image link=”153″ image=”153″] [image link=”151″ image=”151″] [/images] [review]