Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is a great pie to make when pumpkins are in season. It’s sweet, even with little sugar (if strawberries are ripe,of course). As most pies, it goes well with ice cream on side.
- 2 pints whole fresh strawberries, washed, de-stemmed, and cut into halves or quarters (about 3 cups),
- 3 cups (about 1 lb) sliced fresh rhubarb (1 inch per slice) (about 8 medium stalks),
- 1 cup sugar,
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca,
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat on top of filling,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Make the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust recipe.
- Make the Filling: In a large bowl, stir together the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and tapioca. Allow to sit for 20 minutes to let tapioca activate, then pour into the pie shell. Put a pat of butter on top, then cover with the top crust.
- Trim and crimp the edges of crust, brush with the whisked egg, then either poke vent holes or make a lattice top or cut a decorative pattern.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15–20 minutes to set and brown the crust, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for 20–30 minutes, until filling is bubbling and thickened.