Customers will return again and again just for this pie. This recipe is absolutely amazing and incredibly easy. There are so few and simple ingredients that you don’t even need a recipe to remember them. What is more, because Shaker Lemon Pie uses the entire lemon except the seeds and stems—rind, pith, pulp, juice—it provides an explosion of vitamin C.
- 2 lemons,
- 2 cups sugar,
- pinch of salt,
- 4 eggs,
- 3 tbsp flour,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Make the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust pie.
- Make the Filling: Rinse and dry lemons, cut off the stem and nib on the ends. With a serrated knife or mandoline, cut the lemons into super thin slices. Put them in a bowl and make sure to include any juice. Pick out and throw away the seeds as you work. Stir in the sugar and salt. Cover the bowl and set aside to set overnight at room temperature. This will soften the lemons.
- Beat the eggs, add the flour, and whisk well. Stir into the lemon-sugar mixture. Pour the mixture into the pie shell, and cover with top crust. Trim, seal, and crimp the edges, then brush the crust with the whisked egg and make vent holes. Keep in mind that the liquid filling makes the crust exceptionally pliable so be careful at this step.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15–20 minutes to set and brown the crust. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, at least until the middle doesn’t jiggle any more.
This pie freezes very well. In fact, frozen, or at least very chilled, is the perfect way to serve it on a hot summer day. It’s more refreshing than lemonade..