This Peach Pie is incredibly delicious if you make it right. Because the peaches are very juicy, don’t even try to use flour to thicken the filling, as you’ll probably add too much of it and ended up with mealy, gluey, inedible mess. The solution is in tapioca; the filling will turn out just perfect. To make it even better, serve with vanilla ice cream.
- 8–10 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (at least 3 pounds),
- 1 cup sugar,
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca,
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon (optional),
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat on top of filling,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Prepare the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust recipe.
- Prepare the Filling: Mix together the peaches, sugar, tapioca, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Allow to sit for 15–20 minutes so that tapioca activates, then pour into the pie shell. Dot butter on top, then cover with top crust. Trim, crimp, brush with the whisked egg, and make vent holes.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes to set and brown crust, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes. Filling should be bubbling and thickened.