Are you new at baking pies? Start with this one. Blueberry Pie is one of the easiest pies to make. The filling is ready in no time; just wash the blueberries, leave them a little damp, and then toss them in a large bowl and mix well with the sugar and cornstarch. The dampness helps the cornstarch coat and stick to the blueberries. What is more, blueberries are perfect to fill mini pies or pies in a jar. Their small size helps them pack easily into a small pie dish without having to be cut.
- 3 pints blueberries,
- 1 cup sugar (or less),
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch,
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat on top of filling,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Prepare the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust pie.
- Prepare the Filling: Combine blueberries, sugar, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Toss the berries around until they are coated with the dry ingredients, then spoon into the pie shell. Dot butter on top, and cover with top crust. Trim and crimp edges, brush with the whisked egg, and make vent holes.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15–20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for 20–30 minutes. Blueberry filling should be bubbling and baked long enough for the juice to thicken. If the liquid filling looks cloudy, it’s not done yet.