Harvest Pie can be anything you want it to be. In this pie, you can combine whatever is in season: apples, blackberries, pears, strawberries. Be prepared to be surprised. If it turns out a disaster (but it won’t), simply serve it with ice cream. This is one recipe variation, keep in mind that you can throw in this pie whatever you want.
- 4–5 apples, peeled and sliced,
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced,
- 1 cup cranberries,
- ½ cup raisins,
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans,
- ¼ cup flour, to thicken,
- 1 to 2 tsp cinnamon,
- ½ tsp salt,
- ½ tsp nutmeg,
- ¼ tsp ginger,
- 1 tbsp butter, to pat on top of filling,
- 1 whisked egg, to brush on top crust.
- Make the Basic Pie Dough for a double-crust pie.
- Make the Filling: Stir together chosen ingredients in a large bowl, then pour into the pie crust. Place pat of butter on top of fruit, and cover with top crust. Trim, crimp, brush with the whisked egg, then poke vent holes or cut a decorative pattern.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15–20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or more, until fruit softens and bubbles inside.